Thursday, July 5, 2007

Stop the presses! The Post cites Aristotle and Edmund Burke!

Dear Mr. Milbank,

I had to rush to tell you of the strangest thing that happened to me this morning as I was reading the Post. I was confronted by the following offensive paragraph:

"From Aristotle to Edmund Burke, philosophers have written of the healthy tension that normally exists between the understanding and strategies of leaders and the sentiments and opinions of their people."

Aristotle? Edmund Burke? Before you know it we will be up to our ears in those weirdos Abe Lincoln and Thomas Paine! But wait, where had I heard this before?

It sounded to me like that fat, pompous windbag Al Gore was reaching into his esoteric bag of erudite tricks once again. I braced myself to begin the flagellation when I was suddenly struck by a odd happenstance.

It wasn't Gore speaking, much to my shock and dismay, it was the Post's own David Broder! Yes, that's right, Dean Broder spoke the horrid erudite words. Surely, this must be some mistake? Does the Dean think he is now The Smartest Smarty Pants in the Room? Does he think he is as smart as Gore? The Guy Who Invented the Internets?

You may want to walk across the hall and tell David to stop sounding like a pompous windbag! Hurry, before it is too late! Once those strange strange people like Aristotle and Edmund Burke are invoked it is only a matter of time before Jurgen Halbermas descends to crush us all.

Eruditely yours,
V. Publius

No comments: